All sorts of people go traveling, but the conversation is always the same.
Guide to traveling conversations
The thing is that you only meet people for on average 1 - 2 days in anyone's company, and you've only got a limited amount in common with them - traveling. So the conversation is generally fairly similar:
Day 1 conversation
- Q1. How long have you been here?
- Q2. Where've you come from?
- Q3. Where're you going?
- General recommendations on places to go, hostels, etc. based on above.
- Complaints about places, hostels and other general travel horror stories
Day 2 Conversation
- Discussion about tickets. Round The World vs single tickets
- Discussion about equipment. Packs, stuff to bring, stuff to lose. Compare weights and makes
- Possibly this is time to inquire about family, jobs etc. back home.
Day 3 Conversation
Don't forget to ask for people's names, just make sure that you ask at the
end of a conversation and that you ask for their email address
I'm wandering up the coast to the island of Penang just off the
north west coast of Malaysia.